Monday, July 20, 2009

Fresh Abundance Weekly News - July 18, 2009

Fresh Abundance - Bringing Local Food to Local People
Boxes
Jacque's Blog
PEACH Blog - For the latest Fresh Abundance & Peach news Including recent farm movies.

PEACH on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube

You might have noticed that I did not send out the news last week. Between harvesting and teaching on the p.e.a.c.h. farm, running Community Roots Market and riding my bicycle, I lost track of time.

For most of my younger life I ran many miles several times a week but about three years ago I started having knee and hip pain so I stopped running. Rheumatoid arthritis runs in my family. I was sad to give up running, but I had no choice. So for three years I kept thinking that I would take up bicycle riding. Working a rigorous schedule and my fear of creating pain worse than I already had kept me from getting started. This year during bicycle to work week I started riding five miles a day. To my delight my knee and hip pain went away. This is not what I expected at all. Now I have been riding for a couple of months: some days riding forty miles, most days riding five to ten miles. I am pain free for the first time in three years.

I do my best everyday to take charge of my health and I am constantly hearing from many Fresh Abundance members that you are trying to do the same. I believe this is a turning point in human health where we have come to terms with the fact that there are no easy answers and no pills that FIX the diseases nearly everyone has these days. I get frequent requests for information on health issues and I believe we can each be a powerful force for changing our own health.

On Thursday evening July 30 from 6pm-8pm I am launching a Lecture series called Take Charge of Your Health. The first lecture focuses on The Biology of Dairy, Soy Milk & Dairy Alternatives and will cover the following topics:
- History of dairy
- Pasteurized milk
- Raw milk
- Goat milk
- Powdered milk
- Pasteurization
- Dairy cows
- Hormones & antibiotics
- Dairy feed then and now
- Kefir Grains
- Soy milk, rice milk, nut milk
- Calcium
- Vitamin D

This lecture is about the facts. This is a non-judgmental lecture with the goal of giving you real answers so you can make real decisions about your health. This lecture is open to the public for $25 per person or at a reduced rate of $20 for current Fresh Abundance members who pre-register.

You can pre-register by mailing a check for $20 made out to Eden B. Hendrix to:Fresh Abundance
Attn: Brightspirit
2015 N. Division
Spokane, WA 99205

Hey did you notice the big article on Fresh Abundance/p.e.a.c.h. in the food section on Wednesday in the Spokesman? There have been a lot of new faces in the store checking out the great local food system work we are doing. It is exciting to have this level of recognition after working on local food issues for so many years. Every purchase from Fresh Abundance is a vote for our local farmers. Together we are doing our part to get more local food consumed right here in river city!

With the recent rain and hot sun the weeds are out of control on the p.e.a.c.h. farm. If anyone is interested in getting their hands in the dirt to support local food please contact brightspirit@freshabundance.com

Brightspirit

No comments:

Post a Comment