Saturday, June 20, 2009

Fresh Abundance Weekly News - June 20th 2009

Bringing Local Food to Local People http://www.freshabundance.com
Boxes -
http://www.freshabundance.com/index.php?main_page=infopages&pages_id=19
Jacque's Blog - http://freshabundance.com/freshblog
PEACH Blog - http://PEACHLocal.blogspot.com/

Last year I committed that this year would be the year that I would really start riding my bike. I don't think anyone took that very seriously but I will have you know I rode my bike from the South Hill to Evergreen and 32nd in the Valley on Friday. You ask why I would make such a trek? That is where the PEACH Permaculture Farm is, and I was headed to harvest the very first foods EVER to be produced by our farm project. Can I say this was an exciting day for me? Maybe I should say it again, IT WAS A VERY EXCITING DAY FOR ME! Not only did I ride my bike very far, I got to experience a dream come true. I am a mere activist, and as an activist I want to see active things happen that I believe in. I am an activist for local food, local community, and local economic stability. I believe the biggest things we can do to improve our community, economic viability, and environmental stabilization is to eat local. Think about it, everybody eats. As we get more land into local safe food production then the whole tide turns. Yes, I guess I am shouting! I will step back with a smile on my face and know that today we made a giant leap forward in our quest for local food for every local plate.

If you are committed to your local food system then here are all the ways I see that you can effectively participate in order of importance.

1) Grow your own food even a little bit makes a difference. Imagine if every one of our half million population grew a tomato plant. Each tomato plant could produce 100 pounds of tomatoes so that is 50,000,000 pounds of tomatoes produced-THAT'S AMAZING. Okay so back to reality, the idea is that if you grow some of your food you make a major contribution to your personal wallet and taste buds, but also to your community.

2) Buy at Community Roots Market & other local markets. When you buy direct from a local farmer or product producer this gets the money directly into their pocket and you know you helped someone local whom you got to know. This exchange cuts out the middleman and keeps most of the money in our community.

3) Buy from Fresh Abundance LOCAL & Organic Foods where we work with over 60 local farmers who only want to sell wholesale so won't come to the market. By purchasing through us you have the guarantee that we will bring everything local we can get our hands on to you, along with creating a fulfilling work environment for our employees and putting the money we take in back into our local economy.

Buy LOCAL, love your community, tantalize your taste buds...JOY!

Speaking of delicious food, hope you're enjoying the local garlic scapes in last weeks and this weeks boxes. Here's another yummy recipe to try.

RECIPE
Garlic Scape Frittata
1 cup Garlic Scapes, chopped
1 cup Green Onions, chopped
2 tablespoons Olive Oil
1/4 cup water
4 large Fresh Eggs
salt & pepper to taste

Place garlic scapes and green onion in a 10-inch skillet with 1 teaspoon oil, water and a pinch of salt.

Cook covered over medium heat till tender, about five minutes.

Beat eggs with a bit of salt & pepper.

Add rest of oil to skillet, when it is hot, shake skillet to spread greens evenly then add eggs. Cover and cook over medium-low heat until top is set. Cut into wedges and serve hot or cold.

Enjoy!

I'm off to Hula Hoop and of course BUY LOCAL! See you Sunday at the market,
brightspirit

No comments:

Post a Comment